University of Canberra is consistently listed among the top 100 young institutions in the world, with high graduate employment rates and above-average graduate beginning earnings. The University of Canberra aspires to be one of Australia's most creative tertiary institutions, to maintain our rise in international rankings, and to broaden our regional, national, and international reach. Committed to preparing professional and highly employable graduates with the appropriate combination of experience and competencies.
The Institution of Canberra was founded in 1967 and is a public university affiliated with the Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning and the New Generation Universities. The Canberra College of Advanced Education was the university's previous name. In 1990, it was granted university status. At the university, a Stone Day is commemorated, which is thought to be a remark of its founding. It will go on for the rest of the week. It is currently known as the Stone Fest and is one of Australia's most prominent music festivals.
The university's academic programme covers a wide range of courses that are divided into five faculties:
- Arts & Design- The UC Faculty of Arts and Design is a big and diversified faculty that offers bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in journalism, communication and media, design and architecture, international studies, and humanities.
- Business, Government & Law- Economics, finance, entrepreneurship, law, public policy and administration, commerce, and international relations are among the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes offered by the faculty in subjects such as business, government, and law.
- Health- In a number of health-related specialist fields, the health faculty educates and develops physicians, professionals, and researchers. This faculty focuses on providing students with the skills and information they need to become health and sport innovators, change agents, and industry leaders.
- Education- The education faculty excels in early childhood, primary and secondary education, as well as TESOL, in accordance with current national teacher registration standards. The ACT Teacher Quality Institute has accredited all beginning teacher education courses, and they are recognised throughout Australia.
- Science & Technology- The health faculty educates and develops physicians, professionals, and researchers in a variety of health-related subjects. This faculty is dedicated to equipping students with the knowledge and skills they need to become health and sport innovators, change agents, and industry leaders.
There are also a number of research institutes and centres on the campus, such as:
- Institute for Applied Ecology
- Research Institute for Sport & Exercise
- Centre Therapeutic Solutions
- Centre for Creative & Cultural Research
- NEXUS Research Centre
- News & Media Research Centre
- Invasive Animals Cooperative Research Centre.
Students can visit these centres to learn about fieldwork and get exposure as well as practical knowledge under the supervision of well-experienced faculty members and other research centre employees. The university has approximately 13,000 students.
UC focuses on helping as many students as possible benefit from its quality education. A variety of scholarships are provided to assist international students with tuition fees and living expenses.
- University of Canberra International Course Merit Scholarship
This is accessible for international students from India; Nepal; Bangladesh; Pakistan; Sri Lanka; Bhutan; Vietnam; Philippines; Latin America; Kenya; Nigeria; Mauritius; Indonesia; South Korea; and Japan who are pursuing specific bachelor’s or master’s degree programmes at University of Canberra.
Perks: 25 per cent discount on total tuition fee
- University of Canberra International High Achiever Scholarship
This grant is available to all international students applying to UC for bachelor's or master's degree programmes.
Perks: 20 per cent discount on total tuition fee
- University of Canberra International Merit Scholarship
This grant is available to all international students who are applying to UC for a bachelor's or master's degree.
Perks: 10 per cent discount on total tuition fee
The Student Welfare Officers of the campus can direct you to services at UC or throughout Canberra, or they can just be someone to chat to if you're not sure who can help you or where to go. They can also help with a wide range of issues, including financial difficulties, study difficulties, finding housing, misconduct or grievance settlement, and anything else you might be concerned about.
Your living situation establishes the pace for the entire of your academic experience. Whether you live on-campus with a large group of people or find your own place in Canberra depends on your preferences and finances. It can be incredibly difficult to find accommodation in Canberra at certain periods of the year, so it’s advised to start looking as soon as possible.
A wide range of high-quality scholarly information resources and services are offered by the University of Canberra Library (UC Library). Staff and students are valued members of the library community.
Through its Career HUB, the university offers a variety of internship and job prospects across Australia. The Career Hub lists a variety of part-time jobs as well as internships, projects, and placements for students. Work Integrated Learning also assists students in preparation for their professions by building skills and knowledge. Students can also apply for on-campus part-time or temporary jobs to assist them improve their competitiveness.
The university’ list of prominent graduates includes, Donald Horne (Journalist, Writer, Social Critic and Historian), John Dryzek (Political Scientist), Peter Leahy (Former Chief of Army in Australia), Arthur Hoyle (Historian), Kelly Hoare (Member of Australian House of Representatives), Betty Kitchener (CEO of Mental Health First Aid International), Dr. Lotay Tshering (Present Prime Minister of Bhutan, 2018-19), Susan Ryan (Labour Government Minister), Will Anderson (Comedian), Cate Kennedy (Famous Author), Vivek Wadhwa (Technology Entrepreneur), and Jonathan Uptin (Member of Nine News Queensland).