It is believed that the University of Wollongong (UOW) was founded in 1951, but was incorporated by the Parliament of New South Wales in 1975. Wollongong housed a branch of the New South Wales University of Technology back then. The establishment of the university, ten years later, became the Wollongong College of the University of New South Wales. This eventually led to the university becoming its own independent institution. Technical education for metallurgists and engineers was the company's initial focus, but it has now expanded to include a wide range of courses.
The University of Wollongong is one of the best modern universities in the world. Their faculty has built a reputation for world-class research and outstanding teaching throughout the years. The university is currently ranked within the top 2 per cent of universities in three major international rankings; Time Higher Education World University Rankings, QS World University Rankings, and the Academic Ranking of World Universities. Besides having received many awards for the quality of its teaching, UOW is home to a number of national and international subject leaders. According to the 2014 Good Universities Guide, UOW is the top-ranked university for educational experience due to its high standard of teaching.
Located about 90 minutes south of Sydney, Wollongong offers the convenience of being within easy reach of the Sydney CBD, without the congestion, stress, and expense associated with a big city. With a campus surrounded by towering trees and the wide, blue Pacific Ocean, UOW Wollongong offers one of the most appealing quality-of-life situations around. Learning in this environment is easy and allows you to maximize your potential. There is no doubt that and with its park-like setting and extensive recreational and learning facilities, the campus is the most beautiful of any university in Australia.
The UOW has the following faculties:
1. Engineering and Information Sciences
5. Medicine and Health
6. Social Sciences
7. Humanities and the Arts
Besides the centrally located Sydney Business School, the university has campuses in Batemans Bay, Bega, Southern Sydney, the Southern Highlands and the Southern Highlands. UOW Shoalhaven in New South Wales South Coast and a division in Dubai were established in 1993 and 2000, respectively. 180 international partners are affiliated with the university. They also have several schools, including the School of Accounting, the School of Economics and Finance, the School of Physics, and the School of Liberal Arts.
- Vice-Chancellor's Academic Achievement Award
- University of Wollongong South Western Sydney Scholarship
- Women in Engineering and Information Sciences Award
- Engineering and Information Sciences Scholars and Advanced Scholarship
- Engineering and Information Sciences Academic Merit Award
- Engineering and Information Sciences Faculty Undergraduate Scholarship
- Vice-Chancellor's Elite Academic Scholarship
- UOW Equity Scholarships
- Transforming Futures Scholarship - Future Students
- School of Medicine Scholarship for Indigenous Students - Future Students
- The George Alexander Foundation Scholarship
- Riverina Murray Schools Scholarship
- Central West Schools Scholarship
- The Movement Disorder Foundation Scholarship
- The Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship
- Tibra Capital Corporate Scholarship
- University of Wollongong diplomat scholarship
- University of Wollongong Faculty of Science, Medicine and Health International school scholarship
- University of Wollongong South Western Sydney scholarship
- University Excellence Scholarship
- University of Wollongong Faculty of Business Bursary scheme
- Malaysia Australia Colombo Plan Commemoration (MACC) Scholarship
- University of Wollongong Law's "Change the world" scholarship
- Postgraduates scholarships
- UOW Sydney Business School Bursary scheme
- UOW Sydney Business School partial tuition fee scholarship
- UOW Alumni postgraduate scholarship
- UOW Tottenham Hotspur Global Football Program Scholarships
Private accommodations, homestays, and university-managed housing are all available for students on different budgets. The university offers a free shuttle service for transportation to the university campus and other parts of the city.
With UOW Living's supportive, secure and sustainable residential communities, you'll be able to find alternative housing options. The UOW Living community is the best choice for those who wish to live in a supportive, family-like environment while also having access to pastoral care and the opportunity to meet other students from around the world. Living in residence is cited as one of the best parts of the university experience by many residents. You'll be part of a thriving community with opportunities to develop your academic skills, professional skills, and social skills.
Residence life is one of the best parts of university life, according to many students. There is no other community in the world where you can live among people from so many backgrounds and cultures.
Accommodation Services offers an academic environment that aims to achieve high achievement, involvement, learning, and fun for all. There are student development programs and peer mentorship programs at every residence, as well as activities for sports, cultural, and social enthusiasts. In addition, each residence offers furniture, laundry, limited parking, and a recycling program run by an environmentally responsible organization.
They have many resources in their library collection, including over 450,000 eBooks, 260 databases, and nearly 90,000 electronic journals, which allows the UOW Library to be unique in-service delivery. Their highly-trained staff is on hand in person and online to deliver exceptional service. In addition to borrowing from other libraries, you can also access millions of publications worldwide by using their document delivery service.
UOW has custom designed the campus experience to suit the needs of its students. The more time you spend in class, in a club or at the UniBar, the more you become part of the community of learners. Students are soon familiarized with UOW's resident ducks, best coffee spots, and how to navigate around our beautiful campus while they enjoy a five-star education. Your first semester on campus is all about enjoying yourself, meeting new people, and having fun. Your first semester on campus is all about enjoying yourself, meeting new people, and having fun.
- Two gyms: Wollongong Campus and Innovation Campus
- High Performance Training Zone
- 50m outdoor heated swimming pool
- 2 multi-purpose sports halls catering for a wide range of sports and activities including basketball, netball, badminton, roller derby, futsal, volley ball and other large events
- 4 ovals with lighting
- Cricket nets
- All weather hockey surface
- 3 tennis courts (1 hard court & 2 grass courts)
- 2 squash courts
- Function room